Tuesday, September 20

[mmc-l] MIDDLEBURY MOUNTAIN CLUB- First events of the semester!

 

WELCOME to the 2011 Middlebury Mountain Club Mailing List!


Every week we'll be sending an email to let you know our upcoming trips and events. If you have any questions that haven't been addressed in an email, contact mmc@middlebury.edu and we'll help you out!

MMC WELCOME EVENT
This Wednesday the 21st 
5:45 PM on Forest Lawn (behind Forest, facing Battell Beach) 
Come learn more about the Mountain Club, talk to student guides, sign up for trips, and find out how you can get involved with the MMC Board or become a student guide. Snacks provided! Freshmen-- this is it!! That big golden opportunity you've been waiting for! The reason you came to Middlebury College! Don't miss out!

MMC GUIDE MEETING
This Wednesday the 21st
5:00 PM on Forest Lawn (right before the Welcome Event)
If you have already STARTED the process of becoming an MMC guide, or if you ARE an MMC Guide, please come to this mandatory meeting to put trips on the calendar. Plan to arrive to the meeting with a trip in mind! Email knielson@middlebury.edu if you cannot attend, preferably with details of a trip you will be leading this fall. 

CLIMBING CLINIC AND PRESENTATION- Matt Wilder
This Thursday the 22nd
Clinic: 5-7 PM at the climbing wall
Slideshow: 8-9 PM BiHall 220

Details: All levels welcome to the clinic. Matt Wilder, climber and Midd alum, will do some work to improve everyone's technique and help people design training plans. It will be informal, chill and everyone can climb a bunch at the wall. Bring shoes if you have them, but the Wall has a number of them available for free rental. Following the clinic he'll give a one hour slideshow in BiHall. He'll be giving out schwag (Noreaster tickets, climbing shoes, shirts, and maybe a pack). 
 
Matt Wilder: "Through this multimedia show I'll try to figure out why I tend to find myself far above gear with hard moves between me and safety --- a question I ask myself often. I'll begin by tracking my history as a climber following my split identity as a boulderer and a trad climber with some classic photos from my early days. The bulk of the show will highlight classic climbs and boulder problems I've established, repeated, or failed on in the past. The show will culminate with a personal narrative of my experience establishing two new 5.14R trad routes in the Front Range, Viceroy and Cheating Reality, accompanied by video footage and photo sequences. I'll also explore my quest for the ultimate trad route that combines runout 5.13 climbing with a fairly well protected V13 or harder boulder problem."